the clouds to the hills

the clouds to the hills
Somewhere in Imphal

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Yumlembam Ibomcha

Yumlembam Ibomcha- a noted manipuri poet who emerged in late 1960s along with Thangjam Ibopishak under the influence of Sri Biren has published three books so far. His first book was a collection poetry named "Shandrembi Thoraklo Nahum Ponjel Shabige" The book was named by his friend and fellow poet Thangjam Ibopishak. the book was released in 1973 and won him Manipur State Kala Akademi Award. His second book which is a collection of short stories "Numitti Ashum Thengjillakli" won him Sahitya Akademi Award, Delhi. He also won the same award for translation this year. 
 
Picture courtesy:Tehelka


He also has published an anthology of poems in two volume named "Shingnaba" with poets Ibopishak and W. Ranjit



Below is a poem by Ibomcha translated from Meiteilon by Robin S Ngangom::

Story of a Dream

Who else will dream
Such a dream?

I was having a dream, a very pleasant one,
It began almost like a nightmare.
It was our home, quite dark inside;
On the floor, their entrails spilling,
Bodies of children lie about
Like rats run over by vehicles.
I tread cautiously, taking long steps.
But walking on running blood
My soles are sticky anyway.

Very carefully, with great effort,
I emerged, opening the door,
There lay before me a long road unrolled.
In the distance, hazy and blurred,
Some people were strolling too.
Gun barrels stick out in neat rows
From both the left and right side of the road.
Muzzles of guns –
Even in the nooks and shaded spots
Of fields and meadows.
One gun barrel near my cheek,
Another muzzle beside my lips.

Someone yelled – ‘Fire’
O they’ve opened fire, I’ve been shot.
A bullet struck my cheek.
What’s this!
Is being shot by a gun as silky as the caress
Of a young woman’s hand!
How happy I am being shot,
This bullet shooting into my mouth
Is also a mellow grape.
I shout – if grapes are bullets
Shoot me again and again.

‘Fire’
Like June’s deluge
They were shooting relentlessly.
There piled up before me – grapes, almonds, raisins.
It’s hilarious!
It’s hilarious – the sound of gunfire,
It’s the soothing strain of the flute, the sitar, the violin.
It’s more hilarious than I can tell –
Flowers of lovely colours
Blossomed from the barrels of the guns.
A soft wind began to blow gently,
Sunlight of virgin gold streamed over hills and valleys,
Parties of young women
Their hair redolent with the scent of herbs and
Faces blooming with joy began to walk
Gracefully before happy young men.
The elderly too walk all spruced up
As if on their way to a wedding.
Women on their way to the marketplace,
Women returning, greet each other cheerfully,
And laugh in unison.

This is all a dream.
I’m dreaming, I know, while I’m still asleep.
Even so, I don’t want to wake up just yet.

Who else would dream such a dream?



No comments:

Post a Comment